There’s a new gun rights group on the block that aims to make an impact on a historical group, which has seen their share of trouble lately. Called Save the Second, the group’s goal is to improve membership rates of the National Rifle Association, and in general, make it a stronger organization.
Save the Second is made up of gun owners, people who support the Second Amendment, and those who work in the firearms industry. Their President is Anthony Garcia, who has some very strong opinions about how the NRA is failing their mission.
With Save the Second’s help, they aim to reach over 100,000 new members each month to achieve their goals. With the assistance of his Vice President Ron Carter, the men along with their team, hope to make the NRA a stronger organization that benefits the original mission of enforcing the rights of the Second Amendment for all citizens in the United States.
The big problem, they say, is that the NRA is split on their mission and isn’t governed effectively. Save the Second feels that by reforming the NRA this will improve their public image making it a stellar organization to join once again.
Five Goals in Reforming the NRA
Save the Second has five main goals in their process to strengthen the NRA. They are the following:
- Smaller Board: The NRA has 76 board members which is five times the average for a company’s board. It should ideally be around 15.
- Term Limits: They aim to reduce term limits of directors to four consecutive terms. This can help to give fresh ideas and new energy to the group’s initiatives.
- Improve Director Attendance: This would mean putting in mandatory attendance days for board members to adhere to. Clearly, they have an attendance problem with many board members not showing up for important meetings.
- Get More Members Voting: Voter turnout among the NRA members is low at around 6 percent. This needs to go way up.
- More Second Amendment Focus: They want the mission of the group to stay in line with only Second Amendment issues, including some things like gun safety, shooting competitions, hunting, and gun collecting. Other issues that are political in nature that don’t involve the Second Amendment shouldn’t be a part of the group’s agenda.
How You Can Get Involved
There are a number of ways you can join Save the Second to get involved in their efforts. The website has an “take action page” which lists things like signing the petition, contacting board members of the NRA, volunteering at events, and donating money. You can also join their email list to get updates on the goals and successes of the group. They also have a strong social media following you can join on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram for updates.
Think of Save the Second as a helpful hand to lift up the purpose of the NRA to new and improved heights. A stronger NRA means more solid gun rights for everyone.